Daily Log 9/14/09
September 14, 2009 § 2 Comments
I didn’t post yesterday’s meals and workout because I was still thinking about the Food, Inc. movie. I spent some time looking up farms in my area on www.eatwild.com. I think a trip to a farm is in my future. I found one that raises cows, pigs, and sells raw cow milk cheeses and farm fresh eggs.
Then I found myself researching the difference between “grass fed” and “grass fed and finished”. Apparently meat labeled as “grass fed” means at some point in the animal’s life they were fed grass but could have been fed grains as well. Meat labeled “grass fed and finished” means that the animal was fed grass it’s entire life. An important distinction.
Then because I don’t know anything about it and kept seeing it come up, I started researching the benefits of raw milk and raw milk cheeses. Apparently it is extremely good for your immune system. The pasteurization process kills enzymes and pretty much anything good the milk offers. To read more, check out this raw milk fact sheet.
In any case, my meals yesterday were clean and my workout was kettlebell practice first thing in the morning. 8kg cleans, presses (not many), one arm swings and two arm swings with the 12kg.
Here’s my day today:
a.m. – spin class
1. syntrax nectar protein drink, green drink, organic coffee w/organic whole milk
2. 1 cup strawberry kefir w/scoop Miracle Reds, serving almond blueberry crunch
3. leftover chicken and black bean chili over 1/4 cup rice
4. raw sugar snap peas with 3 tablespoons hummus
5. 3 oz wild salmon burger, roasted asparagus, 1/4 cup brown rice
Kettlebell workout – 5 minutes of TGU practice with the 8kg
6. plain greek yogurt, raw walnuts, squeeze of local honey
Tomorrow morning starts phase 4 of New Rules of Lifting for Women and one of my favorite exercises is up first. Front squat push press!
If anyone has experience with raw milk or raw milk cheeses, I’d love to hear.