My husband and I drink this green drink every morning for the last 3 years. This drink came about for several reasons:
- By suggestion of my nutritionist at the time, I needed to add more organic greens to my diet to help increase immune function; and
- I saw Dr. Mehmet Oz on Oprah and he said he drinks greens in the morning a few days a week.
This convinced me I didn’t have to spend an hour eating a huge salad for breakfast any longer! So the green drink was born.
Here is my recipe (serves 2) –
- few slices cucumber
- sprig of parsley
- stalk of celery
- collard green leaf
- handful of baby spinach
- kale leaf
- 1/2 inch cube of fresh peeled ginger
- 1 apple
- juice of a lemon
- some apple juice to blend
- 1 tablespoon flax oil added after blending
All of the ingredients are organic. I like alot of ginger and lemon in my drink because it really covers up the “green” taste. Sometimes there are variations on the drink based on what’s in season or what I can get at my local grocer or organic farm. I have used swiss chard and beet greens in the drink before and both are nice additions.
Over time my regular blender couldn’t really handle pulverizing the green stems, so I asked for VitaMix blender in October, 2008 for my birthday. An amazing and versatile gift for anyone serious about whole foods. My family pitched in and puchased the VitaMix straight from the company in Ohio.
Here’s a picture of the infamous green drink:
I know it looks VERY green! It really is delicious and gets my day started off with good blood alkaline balance.