Recipe: Asian Lettuce Wraps
March 10, 2011 § Leave a comment
I threw this together one night when I had a pack of chicken and some vegetables to use up. There’s so many ways you can adapt it to fit your style of eating. I’ll give some suggestions at the end of the recipe.
- 3 chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 pack of button mushrooms, diced
- 1 organic green pepper, diced
- 4 organic scallions (green onions) sliced, greens and whites
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (tastes similar to soy sauce but has no gluten)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Head of bibb lettuce, leaves detached, rinsed, and dried
Heat up the coconut oil in a skillet and add the ginger and garlic. Saute for a few minutes. Add chicken and crushed red pepper and cook 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Add green bell pepper and mushrooms and saute a few more minutes. Add the scallion in last. I like crunchy scallion. If you like your vegetables cooked more, add them in before the chicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over 3 or 4 lettuce leaves.
Suggestions: Have a pack of ground chicken, beef, pork, or turkey you aren’t sure what do with? Use that! Vegetarian? Try tofu or edemame (not in the pod) in place of the meat. Need more carbs? Use some cooked brown rice or quinoa at the base of the lettuce leaf before adding chicken mixture. Need more crunch? Add a small can of drained diced water chestnuts.
Hope you give this a try. Enjoy!